Skip to main content

M5.4 Consumer Confidence Reports (CCR) and Water Quality



The following are answers regarding my drinking water in Oakland, CA (East Bay Municipal Utility District):

  • What is the source of your drinking water?   Where does your water ORIGINATE?  (It is treated at a water treatment plant, but what watershed or aquifer is the sources of the water?)
Mokelumne River on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada 
  • What chemicals were found in your water that were higher than expected?
There were no chemicals found in our water that were higher than the federal standards.
  • What chemicals did you NOT expect to find in your water?
I did not expect to find aluminum or chlorate in our water.
  • Are there associated health risks with the chemicals found in your water?  (sources for this last question include the EPA, CDC, ATSDR and the National Library of Medicine's ToxNet program.
Yes, there are health risks with any amount of aluminum and lead. It is absurd that federal standards do not coincide with health risks.

  • Where does your water come from? The source! Track it from the source to your tap.
Mokelumne River on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada (from the East Bay Municipal Utility District) 
  • What did you discover about your water quality?
There were no chemicals above federal standards for water quality, however I was surprised that any of these chemicals were still allowed in low levels in our water. I realized that my definition of quality is different from the federal government's version. I would have assumed that quality standards meant nothing was allowed in our water that was associated with health risks.
  • Do you use a filter for your water?
Yes, I have a Brita filter.
  • What are you trying to filter out?
I guess everything, but I am not sure that it even is able to do that. 
  • Do you drink bottled water?   How does this square with what you learned when you watched the Story of Bottled Water (see next exercise)?
No, I do not drink bottled water. I only use tap water and filtered water. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M10.5 Blog about an occupational safety and health organization

CHOOSE ONE of the following organizations/agencies: OSHA, CAL/OSHA, NIOSH, ILO, WHO, AFL-CIO Go to their website. Each of these occupational safety and health or labor organizations support a range of occupational health and safety programs. Select a health and safety program sponsored by one of these organizations, read about it. Provide a short summary on your BLOG and how it might relate to your health and safety. I chose the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) as the agency to explore for this blog post. I went to their website (link:  https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/index.htm ) and looked at all the different health and safety programs that they sponsor. The program I chose to read about in more depth is one of the programs in the NIOSH Research Program Portfolio. The program I read about the NIOSH Occupational Health Equity Program. The NIOSH Occupational Health Equity Program "seeks to promote health equity in disease incidence, injury, mental ...

M9.3 Blog: Green Chemistry

Green chemistry is the design of chemical products and processes that reduce or eliminate the use or generation of hazardous substances. Green chemistry applies across the life cycle of a chemical product, including its design, manufacture, use, and ultimate disposal. Green chemistry is also known as sustainable chemistry. Green chemistry: Prevents pollution at the molecular level Is a philosophy that applies to all areas of chemistry, not a single discipline of chemistry Applies innovative scientific solutions to real-world environmental problems Results in  source reduction  (Links to an external site.)  because it prevents the generation of pollution Reduces the negative impacts of chemical products and processes on human health and the environment Lessens and sometimes eliminates hazard from existing products and processes Designs chemical products and processes to reduce their intrinsic hazards Green chemistry reduces pollution at its source by minimi...

M10.2 Blog about MSDS and ToxNet

Obtain a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) from your workplace or from the workplace of a family member or friend.   Material Safety Data Sheets are chemical information sheets created by chemical manufacturers that all employers are required to obtain and keep for any potentially hazardous chemicals in the workplace. For this blog post, I tried to find a material safety data sheet (MSDS) from UCSF. The MSDS I found is for "Equi-soft Foam Antimicrobial Handsoap"  Here is a link to the MSDS:  https://cleanhands.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/docs/Product%20information/Arichive/Equi-soft_Foam_MSDS.pdf Review  the MSDS and answer the following questions: What are the health risks associated with this chemical? There are four chemicals in the antimicrobial handsoap:  2-methylpentane-2,4-diol; amines, coco alkyldimethyl, n-oxides; Polyethylene Glycol; and benzalkonium chloride.  The health risk associated with these chemicals is they can cause eye irrita...