My topic of interest for my literature review is the association between air pollution and mental health issues among children. Specifically, I am interested in the increased risk of autism among children due to particulate matter. The main agencies that can provide information, regulatory oversight, or otherwise are implicated in addressing this topic in some way are the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Transportation, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Department of Commerce, the Environmental Protection Agency, the state Department of Public Health, the local Department of Public Health, the state Environmental Protection Agency, and any other local air quality control agencies. It is shocking to me that so many agencies and programs should have insight and interest in the issue of poor air quality and downstream negative health impacts on children, and yet very little regulation and policy is being put forth by any of these organizations. It is my hope that with the growing body of research demonstrating the link between air quality and negative health outcomes in children, these agencies will begin to act and regulate our air quality better in order to protect our health.
CHOOSE ONE of the following organizations/agencies: OSHA, CAL/OSHA, NIOSH, ILO, WHO, AFL-CIO Go to their website. Each of these occupational safety and health or labor organizations support a range of occupational health and safety programs. Select a health and safety program sponsored by one of these organizations, read about it. Provide a short summary on your BLOG and how it might relate to your health and safety. I chose the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) as the agency to explore for this blog post. I went to their website (link: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/index.htm ) and looked at all the different health and safety programs that they sponsor. The program I chose to read about in more depth is one of the programs in the NIOSH Research Program Portfolio. The program I read about the NIOSH Occupational Health Equity Program. The NIOSH Occupational Health Equity Program "seeks to promote health equity in disease incidence, injury, mental ...
I'm really interested in seeing all of the information you'll be able to dig up relating autism to air pollution. This is a really interesting topic.
ReplyDeleteGreat topic choice! Air pollution/quality is really important to discuss - I wrote my paper on the pulmonary health hazards in children due to air pollution !
ReplyDelete